20110307

Down There at the Mardi Gras

Copyright © 2011 Ernest Bloom.



Down there at the Mardi Gras is where I want to be
Not stranded here in cactus country dogged by history
Down there in the streets where happy people all parade
A purple and gold masquerade where the bright ones promenade
I wish I were at the Mardi Gras down in New Orleans
I'd love to swap these tiresome faces for some other scenes

Wish I were rollin' on the bayou with some Cajun queen
Calliopes and smokestack lightnin' fill up every dream
You can smell that fat chocolate river from ten miles away
But I'm stuck in Tucson watching calendars wither day by day
Back to the Mardi Gras is the only place I long to go
Back in the delta swamplands flung out in the Gulf of Mexico

Somewhere Mardi Gras floats roll by and all the people cheer
And I'm sure I'd feel a whole lot better if I were only there
Or maybe I'd mosey up to Vicksburg to see what's coming down
Or to Rosedale or Yazoo City, I'd be Mississippi-bound
The Mardi Gras calls out to me, wish I could catch an early flight
But I'm stuck battling recalcitrant robots night after rotten night



click the article title above, and then click:

No comments:

Post a Comment